Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Son, Eli Jack, was born last Tuesday, May 30. Mom is doing great, Eli is wonderful.

Dad, OTOH, is a snivelling basket-case.

Can someone please explain why I just want to stare at him all day long?

7 pounds, 3 ozs; 20 inches.

My mother overheard from the nurse that we are not having him circumcised, and she flipped.

Aside from the fact that it's none of her business, I happen to know (I am after all wiriting a dissertation in medical history) the history of circumcision in the west. By and large, it was completely unknown for nearly 2000 years (you know, ever since Paul told the Galatians they'd be better off cutting their John Thomases off! cf. Gal 5:12) until about 1870 when some British doctor reintroduced it. It caught on in the U.S.A. about 5 years later, as part of the whole "health and wellness movement".

Anyways, my mother had a brief explosion and then (mysteriously) it was never mentioned again. I have a feeling my Dad told her to shut it. I'm glad. It gave me more time to stare at my son.

There's some scene from a movie with John Cusack where he has this staring match with a baby...that's what I feel like when my son looks at me in the eyes.

I lose any perception of the world around me.
 
posted by Kepler at 19:08 |


3 Comments:


At 6/05/2006 01:55:00 PM, Blogger solarblogger

Again, congratulations.

I'm with you on the circumcision decision as well. I've read a similar history online, along with a lot of anecdotal evidence of men who were circumcised in adulthood and felt like 70 percent of their feeling got removed. Ahhhh!

 

At 6/05/2006 03:24:00 PM, Blogger Kepler

Right. There are no good reasons for it, and plenty against it.

 

At 6/06/2006 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Maria

Yay for you. Babies are great. :D Don't forget to announce it on TCL, they've been wondering where you've been. :P

 


Track with co.mments