Friday, August 11, 2006
I don't know if it is, or not. I guess it's accurate. I have deleted, however, the portrait of Tom Delay which came with the result, since I think he's dirty and deserves to go to jail for a while....assuming, you know, that he's actually found guilty by a jury of his peers.

But, IMHO, he belongs to that party of politicians (and I'm NOT speaking of any one political party!) who think the rules were only made for the other guy. Well, I am the other guy, and if it's good enough (or bad enough) for me, Tom, then it's bad/good enough for you.


You scored as Pro Business Republican. Pro-business Republicans support supply-side economics. By cutting taxes, reducing regulations, and supporting large corporations, they want to spur innovation and create economic growth that benefits all Americans.

Pro Business Republican


90%

Libertarian


85%

Foreign Policy Hawk


75%

Socially Conservative Republican


60%

Green


55%

New Democrat


55%

Old School Democrat


50%

What's Your Political Philosophy?
created with QuizFarm.com



Another example of a bad quiz. Either whoever wrote it doesn't seem to understand how he (she?) has mixed categories, or has done so deliberately. Partisan hacks on either side are capable of such deliberate confusion. Here is an example:


Question 28: We should support co-ops and public enterprises that distribute resources more democratically.

Well, co-ops are (usually) private enterprises, while "public" enterprises means "run by the government". What if one (like me) agrees with the former, but not the latter? I guess you vote with the middle button (i.e., neither strongly agree nor disagree). But how does this help determine where one is politically?

Where is the "fanatical moderate" result (which is where, like Tom Friedman (whom I loathe/love) I usually find myself)?

The first question really is the best (read: worst), however, and (probably) betrays how historically naive the author of the quiz is.

Question 1: Every family has the right to a decent home, and the right to earn a decent living.

My question is, what are the determing factors of this question? Here's how I could answer the question: AGREE, every family does. The constitution guarantees the RIGHT to life, liberty, and property. (Yeah, that pesky "pursuit of happiness" language is an intentionally all-encompassing euphamism which includes "property" which was John Locke's original word.)

But my guess is that the author of the quiz wants me to choose "agree" because (the author being of the "progressive" persuasion (what was it Lewis said about progess down the wrong road?)) I agree with government entitlements, which I do not.

Anyways, it's not a horrible quiz...but it's not nearly as good as The Political Compass (where I score very closely to my home-boy Tchaikovsky!)

Your political compass (lower right quadrant):

Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

 
posted by Kepler at 17:06 |


4 Comments:


At 8/11/2006 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Ben Brothers

As the author of the bad quiz, allow me to defend my quiz-writing skills.

All of the questions are either direct quotes or paraphrases from that party's politicians or platforms, which is both good and bad. The quiz builder template doesn't give you very much room for each question, and it doesn't give you the ability to have more detailed information. (E.g, the question about civil unions for gay folks doesn't mention either gay folks or civil unions. It's the prhasing from the GOP platform.)

The question about co-ops you mention comes from the Green Party platform. The co-ops they're talking about are electric and water utilities, not the organic farmer's market. The question about the right to a decent home, etc, is Old School Democrat, from FDR's 1944 State of the Union. So yes, without some basic familiarity with the context and euphemisms of American politics (like entitlement programs), the whole thing is pretty meaningless.

Also, I wrote it a while ago, well before Tom DeLay got indicted for corruption and conspiracy.

 

At 8/12/2006 12:55:00 PM, Blogger Kepler

Fair enough, Ben; you have acquitted yourself well.

Bear in mind, all the criticism came from one who has never written a "quiz" before, so I can claim no familiarity with the limits of the template.

 

At 8/12/2006 03:32:00 PM, Blogger solarblogger

You scored as Libertarian.

Libertarians believe that you have the right to live your life as you wish, without the government interfering, as long as you don’t violate the rights of others. This translates into strong protections for privacy and property rights, and a weak to non-existent social safety net.

Libertarian 85%
Pro Business Republican 70%
Foreign Policy Hawk 60%
Old School Democrat 45%
Green 45%
Socially Conservative Republican 40%
New Democrat 20%

 

At 10/11/2006 10:09:00 PM, Blogger chris j pluger

The quiz was fun, but hearing from the quiz writer was even better.

SO far, this is my all-time favorite on-line quiz: http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=51889

Eucharistic Theology! (maybe I like this one because I'm "familiar with the context and euphemisms" of the topic.

OK, I'll quit randomly commenting your blog now...

 


Track with co.mments